Friday, July 20, 2012
After having made this, I feel compelled to share this with all of you! Maple Candied Bacon has become a new obsession of mine and I become the happiest man on Earth when bacon falls on sale. This is an even better trick for you if you have difficult salad eaters at home.
Let's start with the bacon. This is a simple trick which will create a flavor explosion.
1. Slice your bacon slices in 1/4 inch strips and place in a medium heated frying pan.
2. After 3-4 minutes, when the bacon is almost cooked through, Add a drizzled of Maple Syrup in the pan. If the heat is too high, turn it down a pinch to let the bacon simmer away and take on more color. At the same time it will start caramelizing with the Maple Syrup.
3. When it's nice and crispy, carefully remove the bacon pieces from the pan and place on a plate to cool down, making sure that the pieces are divided. Because they have been caramelized they will stick to each other if not separated before they cool.
Here's an amazing SALAD flavor combination;
- Baby Arugula, (sold in bags, prewashed and all for your convenience)
- Radishes, thinly sliced
- Maple Candied Bacon
- Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil dressing
I hope you get to try this out soon and fall in love with this as much as I did!
Eat well and till next time!
Monday, July 2, 2012
Many many researches demonstrate that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and this for many reasons. Basically, eating breakfast kicks starts your metabolism and breaks your overnight fast. Eating a good meal comprising of proteins and whole grains will keep you going through till lunch and will prevent you to snack too much on those office doughnuts laying around. Other benefits include, controlling your blood sugar levels. Waiting till mid day will through off your entire body and you will feel tired and unorganized. So make time for breakfast!
The biggest excuse people give themselves is usually the time factor. Trust me, I am in that boat, especially living on your own, you tend to eat what you want and when you want. With a little self discipline, cooking breakfast will give you self satisfaction and help you feel the best you can be! Here is a favorite of mine that does not require too much effort and can impress anyone, including yourself!
Over Easy With Style
This does not require a recipe and can be made in any portion size. Basic things you will need;
-Shallots (or a small white onion), finely diced
- Bacon, finely diced
- Basil or other fresh herbs
Pretty simple concept to put it all together.
1. In a medium sized frying pan on medium heat, melt a nut of butter. When the butter is melted, throw in some finely chopped bacon and shallots. Fry gently until the shallots are translucent and bacon seems to be cooked.
2. Carefully crack the eggs over the bacon mixture and sprinkle with seasoning, including your herbs. Cook until the whites become opaque. Place a lid over the pan and leave for about 3-4 minutes to lightly solidify the yolks.
3. Serve with your favorite breakfast sides (toast, juice, coffee etc) and sprinkle some fresh herbs on the eggs for presentation. Enjoy!
Eat well and till next time!