Saturday mornings are a perfect time to stay in bed and wake up to a hot cup of coffee, and while your at it, why not treat yourself! In my house, the rich smell of roasting coffee beans is often accompanied by the smell of fresh breads and even sometimes, scones. Perfect to go with coffee on a lazy morning.
Orange Blueberry Scones
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 Cup Butter
- Zest from 1 Orange
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Milk, or Cream (i used a leftover of cream and some milk)
- 1 Cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. In a large bowl combine; the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry knife, or your hands, break in the cold butter in the flour mixture to create a crumb texture. Mix in the zest with the flour butter mixture.
2. In a small bowl whisk together; the egg, vanilla and dairy product.
3. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the liquid ingredients inside. Bring together slowly with a fork, just until it comes together, as show in picture above. Dump mixture on a floured surface and incorporate blueberries.
4. Press dough together so it hold. Shape in a 1 1/2 inch thick square. Fold in half and roll again into a square (this will create a layering effect in the dough. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 30-40 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 375F .Take dough out from fridge, unwrap and cut in desired sizes. (as shown below) Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush top raw scones with cream and sprinkle with a little sugar before placing in oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top edges become golden.
These warm scones will melt in your mouth and will compliment any breakfast wonderfuly!
Eat well and till next time!