Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Hot Cross Buns
Hot Cross Buns is a recipe full of historical controversy due to some of its religious associations. In the end the people overcame decisions due to its popularity and the recipe soon became know world round. Here is a new French Kiss Cook video in HD with the recipe which you can find on this page under the video.
Hot Cross Buns
- 1 1/2 cup milk (warm)
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 60 g melted butter, cooled
- 1 egg
- 4 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 cup Sultana raisins
- 1/2 cup pitted dried prunes, chopped
- 1/2 Cup AP flour
- 1/3 Cup water
1. Stir together the warm milk, the yeast and the sugar. Set aside and let the yeast activate, 5-10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the 4 cups flour, the cinnamon, salt and ginger.
3. Whisk in the egg and the melted cooled butter into the yeast mixture and pour in the flour mixture and mix till combined. Take dough from bowl and transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and let relax for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Make the flour water mixture by whisking the 1/2 cup flour and 1/3 cup water and placing the mixture in a piping bag with a small hole at the end.
5. Divide your dough in 16 equal pieces and place in a 10"x10" pan, butter and parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. Make 4 rows of 4.
6. Pipe the flour water mixture in lines in the center of the buns, going one way and the other. (watch video for technique.
7. Place in 375F oven till golden brown on top.
8. Make a syrup by boiling 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla. Cool till buns are ready. As soon as the buns come out, brush this syrup on the buns for a glossy and tasty finish!
Happy Easter everyone!