Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Zesty Orange and Maple Sticky Buns
Another very comforting recipe for these cold Canadian winter months. Comforting, yet, healthy enough so you won't feel so bad having one! These whole wheat sticky buns are flavored with orange zest and glazed with pure maple syrup from Québec. This recipe is one for the books, so take note!
Whole Wheat Maple Sticky Buns
- 1/4 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup White Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast (1 package)
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 3 Egg Yolks
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 Tsp
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Butter (melted)
- 3/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Butter
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
1. Place the water and milk in a microwave safe container and heat just till warm (45 seconds on high). When the liquids are warm, add the sugar adn the yeast. Put aside and wait for the yeast to activate.
2. Meanwhile in you mixer bowl, measure your flours, with the butter, yolks salt and orange zest.
3. When the yeast mixture is bubbling, add to the flour mixture in the mixer bowl and miz with the hook attachement on low to obtain a smooth dough. When the dough is smooth, turn the speed up medium speed for 5-8 minutes to firm up the dough.
4. Place the firm ball of dough in a buttered bowl and rowl the ball around to cover in butter. Place a cloth on top and let double in size in a warm place for about 1 hour.
5. To make the topping, place the maple syrup and the butter in a small saucepan and heat up to melt the butter with the syrup. Take off heat and put aside to cool slightly.
6. When the dough is ready, punch it down and roll it out onto a well floured surface. Form a long rectangle (40cm x 100cm). With a brush, spread the 1/4 cup of melted butter on the dough. Sprinkle the sugar and the cinnamon on the melted butter.
8. Proceed with rolling the dough, not too tightly but securely closing the roll by pinch the dough together with your fingers.
9. Pour the Maple syrup topping into a buttered 9x13" pan or 2 - 9" circle buttered pans.
10. Cut the roll in 15 pieces and place in the pan on top of the filling. Place in a preheated 375F oven and back for 15-20 minutes or until the dough has reached a nice golden color.
11. Take out of the oven, let cool for about 10 minutes before flipping over the sticky buns onto your platter. Enjoy!
If you want to add extra flavors to this favorite, sprinkle 3/4 cup raisins inside the roll, or 3/4 cup chopped walnuts in the maple topping before placing the rolls on top for baking.
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!