Now here is an ingredient that I do not often cook with. Where in some cultures, this ingredient might be commonly used, in my cooking, it always seemed strange. After a request for a tofu recipe, I decided to try it out! Here's a very basic and easy recipe to try if you are unfamiliar with cooking tofu.
Fried Tofu with Peanut Sauce
- 1 pound Firm Tofu (around 350g pack), cubed
- 3 Tbsp Smooth Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Vinegar
- 2 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 Tsp Minced fresh ginger root
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable or Canola Oil
1. For the sauce, in a small bowl whisk together; the peanut butter, the soy sauce and the vinegar, garlic and ginger. Set aside.
2. Frying the tofu is where you may vary the recipe as you want. If you want to add a few vegetables to your recipe you may fry it in a medium-high heated pan with the tofu. If just wanting the tofu then just proceed with frying the tofu. This time I added some minced spring onions with my tofu.
3. Add the sauce in the frying pan after 5 minutes of frying. Reduce the heat to medium and heat the combination while gently tossing the ingredients to cover with the sauce.
This easy preparation of tofu can be served on your favorite type of rice or any type of oriental noodle, from Udon noodles to rice vermicelli noodles. Who knows, after trying this recipe you might want to incorporate more tofu in your diet?!
Most of all enjoy, and happy cooking!