Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Dairy-Free Cream of Celery
If you are like me and have an intolerance to lactose, being comforted by a warm creamy soup, usually means taking a "lactaid" or not having the soup at all. Well here is an alternative to a cream of celery soup which is created by adding potatoes to the mix.
CREAM OF CELERY
- 1 celery bunch, roughly chopped in small pieces
- 4 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, diced in small pieces
- 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- splash of olive oil
- 2 Tsp of onion salt
- 1- 900ml box of chicken broth
- 2 Cups of water
1. Place a large stock pan on medium-high heat and pour a slash of olive oil in the pan. When the oil has had the chance to heat up a little, throw in the celery, onions, and carrot. Fry while stirring until the onions had become translucent.
2. Pour in the broth and the water and bring to a boil. Add in the potatoes and the onion salt, bring back to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Let simmer for 25-30 minutes.
3. Once the soup has finished cooking, take the pot off the heat and let cool down a little. Using a hand blender, bring the soup to a puree consistency.
You'll end up with a very creamy looking soup without adding any cream, milk or sour cream to the mix. If you can handle the dairy, you may add some in your individual portions as pleased. Hope you enjoy this soup recipe as I did and that it warms you up on these chilly autumn days.
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!