Wednesday, September 14, 2011
Apple Oatmeal Muffins
My dear friends, apple season has begun and this meaning there will be many recipe postings in the upcoming weeks involving apples in one way or another. The other day I went apply picking and loved every moment of it! Best of all I got to go home with A LOT of apples! With the fall season growing stronger everyday, warm apple pies and pork roasts with apple sauce would do us a lot of good! Let us start this mini series with a good old fashion apple oatmeal muffin recipe.
APPLE STREUSSEL OATMEAL MUFFINS
Preheat oven at 400F (200C)
- 1 1/2 Cup milk (hot)
- 1 1/2 Cup Quick Oats
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1/3 Cup Butter, melted
- 2 Eggs
1. Combine in a bowl, the hot milk and the oatmeal and put aside for 5 minutes.
2. Mix together, in a large bowl, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and chopped apples.
3. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together; the brown sugar, melted butter and eggs.
4. Add the egg mixture to the oatmeal mixture and stir together. Add this mixture into your dry ingredients bowl and stir gently until the ingredients are just combine. Do not overmix!
-Combine 2 Tablespoons of cold butter with 1/4 Cup flour and 4 Tbsp rolled oats to obtain a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle equally on all muffins before baking.
5. In a buttered or papered 12-muffin tin, drop the mixture equally in all cavities. Bake at 400F (200C) for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted inside the center of the muffin comes out clean.
To keep these muffins fresh, store them in a plastic container or plastic bag. If you are wanting to use more apples and are making a double (or triple) batch, simply place them in a freezer bag or plastic container to store them in your deep-freeze. But most of all enjoy as many as you can when fresh!
Till then please remember, an apple a day, keeps the doctor away! :)