Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fried Shrimp in Caramelized Ginger and Garlic


The end of the summer if knocking at our doors and the local crops are being cultivated, bringing tons of fresh, local products at your local markets. Make sure to take advantage of it, especially with the corn who's price has been seen as low as 15-20 cents the ear. There are plenty of ways to prepare your corn. Whether it's boiling, grilling, microwaving, or a combination of ways, butter will run freely, just the same, on a hot ear of corn.

Now for the other night's meal, it may have not been complimenting flavors, but I was in the mood to try out different taste combinations and thought I'd be inspired by the "crème brulées" I had caramelized that morning at work. So while my corn was grilling away, I cooked up some jasmine rice and knew it would be a good base for anything I would make. I also took out some precooked shrimp I had laying around in the freezer.


Now for the caramelized garlic and ginger, it was simple. You just have to follow a few simple steps. On medium-high heat set a frying pan with a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil and add;
- 5-6 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 2-3 Tbsp of finely diced fresh ginger root
- 2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
Fry in the pan, being careful not to burn the garlic. Next to your pan you want to add;
- 3 Tbsp of finely granulated white sugar
Reduce the heat to medium heat and let sizzle away and watch the sugar naturally transform to caramel and give the dish an incredible color. At the same time you'll want to throw in your precooked, dried shrimp to the frying pan.


Take the caramelized shrimp mixture and spoon over your rice. The combination of sweet and spicy in this dish, will have you wanting more! Serve with which ever side dish you prefer, but I consider you go for some freshly picked local produce depending on the time of the year. I recommend you'd try making a fresh green been salad with a soya sauce type dressing.  In my case, I had picked up some fresh ears of corn which I had grilled, and that worked out just fine.


Hope you get to try this flavor combination soon!

Eat well, sleep well and till tomorrow!

Alix

No comments:

Post a Comment