Friday, June 3, 2011
Spicy Shrimp Couscous
Summer is well on it's way and so are the hot temperatures. Whether it is too hot to cook, you are in a rush, or both like I was, this is a quick and delicious meal. Depending on short cuts taken, this dish can be put together even faster. Nowadays, the freezer isle is, more then ever, becoming a useful resource for quick meal ideas. Here is how put this dish together.
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1- 796ml can of diced tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of raw frozen prawns
- splash of soy sauce (1 Tbsp)
- 2 Tsp Sriracha Chili Sauce (brand of hot sauce and quantity can be modified)
- 3/4 cup couscous
1. In a large sauce pan on medium heat, fry the bell pepper and the onion. When you start getting some color on the onions, pour in the tomatoes, bring to a simmer.
2. Add the prepared raw prawns in the vegetable mixture, turn heat to low and place lid on pot. Let cook until the shrimp have become pink throughout to make sure they are cooked. If you are using precooked shrimp, simply add to heat through.
3. Once the prawns are cooked, add the soy sauce and the hot sauce to the mixture, bring back the dish to a low boil. Toss the couscous in the pot, stir around, place lid and remove from heat. Let sit for 10-12 minutes for the couscous to cook and absorb all the liquids of the dish. You may want to stir after 5 minutes for all the couscous to cook.
And there you have it. To make this even simpler, you may use a frozen blend of vegetables to make this even faster and easier of a recipe. Hope you enjoy and stay cool this summer!
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!