Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

Pirate Ship


Here's a cool birthday cake for a boy of any age. A 3D pirate ship cake is always a smash hit for the pirate in all of us. There are literally thousands of examples on the internet of this type of cake and even galleries you can browse with tips on how to assemble your own. After doing a lot of research and looking at many pictures, I decided to go ahead and try my hand at making my own.


First step was making the cake. I made enough batter to fill a 12" by 18" cake mold, made by Wilton. I first cut the cake lengthwise and cut a bit widthwise to create the 2 smaller pieces seen in the above picture.


After carving the sides, the front and using the pieces cut off to create the reste of the shape, I glued it all together with chocolate buttercream.


When I was happy the shape of the boat I covered it all with the same buttercream i used for the inside.


Using the end of a measuring spoon (you could use anything that leaves a square trace) I drew out lines in the buttercream to give the effect of wood planks. To amplify this effect I retraced the lines by piping very fine lines with chocolate and also creating nail holes. For the masts I picked up some 1/4" wooden stick at my local hardware store and cut them to the sizes I needed.


For the rest of the decorations, it is up to you to find what  you can in dollar stores and by using your imagination. Canon balls and beer barrels were created by using candies. For the posts around the ship I used marzipan, but you can also use tootsie rolls. It's all up to you. What you choose to do will make your cake unique and stand out from all other pirate ship cakes out there!

Eat well, sleep well and till next time!

Alix

1 comment:

  1. This birthday cakes looks fantastic. My sons will be thrilled with it. I will bookmark it for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete