Search This Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

My New Stand Mixer


When it came time to purchase a new stand mixer, I didn't know where to start looking. Growing up, the brand of choice was Kitchen Aid and I always remember having one of their stand mixers in my home. Being in the industry, i'm used to using, at least, a 10 quart bowl mixer. I then automatically started looking for the biggest and most powerful stand mixer for home use. Some stand mixers out there offer 1000 watts of power with an 8Qt bowl, but the amount of watts taken to power the machine, doesn't always translate into the amount of power used to actually make it work. After doing more research on the subject of power usage in small appliances, I realized that only a certain amount of watts were going to be necessary for the capacity of the bowl.

It was by pure coincidence to find, walking into my pastry tool supplier, a stand mixer on sale.  This was a Kitchen Aid from the Professional 600 Series. The advertised price for this stand mixer goes way beyond the sale price which was offered to me. So, with it's 6 quarts and 575watts of power and many positive reviews, I decided to make this my new toy; and just in time. With a cake order having to be ready for the following weekend, I was more then happy to have this handy helper by my side to help me continue doing what I love to do! Here is my first project completed with the help of my new kitchen aid; a cake I prepared for a 25 year of friend of my hairdresser's.


This simply decorated cake hides a lot of flavors on the inside. The bottom tier is composed of a vanilla genoise layered with a light mousseline and fresh strawberries. As for the top tier, it is a chocolate sponge cake layered with whipped ganache. To cover the cake and to create all decorations, I used marzipan, as requested by my customer. I'm looking forward to making more of these projects in the upcoming weeks with my new mixer at my side!

Eat well, sleep well and till next time!

Alix

No comments:

Post a Comment