Thursday, March 3, 2011
Whether it is the dead of winter, or summer in full swing, these snacks will keep you going through the afternoon while thinking of what to make for dinner! These are my two favorite dips which I make myself, very easily, which are packed with refreshing flavors. With today's society and it's health conscious diets, premade hummus and guacamole are readily available in multiple flavors. Unless these products are on sale, a can of chickpeas at 1,50$ and a clove of garlic, comes at a way better price with the added insurance of knowing exactly what you're eating. Here are some healthy alternative of having chips and dips.
Alternative to chips:
1. Purchase whole wheat pitas at your local supermarket.
2. Cut in triangular pieces and place on a foil covered baking sheet.
3. Brush lightly with olive oil and add your favorite seasoning (garlic powder, salt, cayenne pepper...)
4. Put undo your oven broiler until crispy, remove and turn the chips over and return under broiler till crisp.
Make a large batch and keep in a tightly sealed plastic container for easy and healthy snacking at your fingertips.
- 1 -19oz can of chickpeas, drained and placed in a bowl
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
Blend all ingredients together, either in a food processor, or a hand stick blender, and enjoy!
- 2 ripe avocados. (to learn more about avocados click here)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced.
Mash all ingredients together with a forks and serve as a dip.
REMEMBER: You ARE what you EAT, so KNOW what you EAT!
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!