Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

Lemon and Tarragon Chicken


When wanting to cook chicken, the first thing that comes to my mind is my grandmother's tarragon chicken. So when faced with a 2 Lbs, thawed out chicken in the fridge, I can't help but to take out the tarragon leaves. Always trying to find new combinations, I decided to make a apply a simple dry rub and then sprinkle with lemon juice. Here's how I proceeded.

Combine in a small bowl;
- 1 Tbsp Onion Salt
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tbsp Dried Tarragon Leaves
With your fingers, crush all ingredients together to obtain a fine mixture.



To assemble the dish, follow these simple steps;
- Brush the casserole dish fitting your bird, with butter. 
- Place the chicken in the dish and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Apply a coat of butter on the chicken, and then the rub... everywhere. 
- You may stuff the bird with a few vegetables, I did so with onions, celery, carrots and lemon slices. I also scattered some of those vegetables all around the chicken. 
- Before putting the dish, covered, in a 400F oven, I simply squeezed the juice of one lemon on top of the bird to give it an initial glaze and I added a few Tbsp of water in the bottom just so it doesn't turn out too dry.  
- Give it about 45 minutes in the 400F oven with the lid and then remove the lid to brown the bird for another 20 to 25 minutes, giving it a total of just over an hour of cooking time. Anything over 3.5 Lbs, add about 8-9 minutes per pound. 


Et voila, my chicken, perfectly cooked with a beautiful golden color and aromas that are OUT OF THIS WORLD! I really recommend keeping the dripping of this dish, along with the vegetables, lemons and bones of the chicken to make a broth. The bottom of this dish contains plenty of amazing flavors. For now, try it out,  give it a try, and enjoy!

Eat well, sleep well and till next time, 

Alix

No comments:

Post a Comment