MUSHROOM BARLEY SOUP
- 1 Cup barley
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 20 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 springs fresh thyme
- In a medium saucepan, bring the barley and 4 cups of water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and summer until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the onions have softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the carrot and celery, then cook, covered for 6 minutes more. Add the mushrooms, increase heat to medium-high, and cook, covered until they release their juices, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked barley and cook for 5 minutes more. Remove and discard the bay leaves. If desired, season wth additional salt and pepper and serve with a nice sourdough bread of multigrain buns.
The embracing aromas of this soup might even charm you into getting a second bowl! Easy to make, even easier to eat! For the whole family to enjoy!
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!