Usually when we think of bananas, we either think, banana bread or banana split. This recipe will change the way you think about baking with bananas. It's coffee cake texture and obvious banana taste will leave you wanting another piece! The almonds and cranberries do nothing but compliment this deliciously moist cake. Perfect to bring on picnics or to have at your next tea party. Set your oven to 350F degrees and let's get right to it!
BANANA CRANBERRY CRUNCH CAKE (Serves 8-10)
- 1/2 Cup AP Flour
- 1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large, very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
MISE EN PLACE:
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Butter and flour a 9-inch tube pan.
- Stir the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the almonds.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the butter, sugar, orange zest and vanilla until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition. With mixer on low speed, beat in the bananas and sour cream. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients and raisins. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the topping.
BAKING AND SERVING:
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
After tasting some of this cake, you'll wish you always had a few bananas handy in the freezer! Hope you get to try out this recipe soon! Enjoy, but remember, sharing brings good karma! :)
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!