Normally, people will associate basil with pasta, tomato sauces and pesto. Let's forget the more famous combinations knows with basil and try something completely new! Combine coconut, basil and lemons, and instead of having it served hot, let's serve it frozen! That's right, let's make ice cream. The sweetness from the coconut juice carries the basil flavor very well, and those flavors, very well delivered to your pallet thanks to the tartness of the lemon flavors. Here how to put it together.
LEMON BASIL ICE CREAM
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup purified water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (whole)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 tsp lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- Bring the coconut milk, water and sugar up to heat on medium heat. Do not boil! When hot, remove from stovetop and cover to let steep the basil leaves, 45-60 minutes.
- Remove leaves by straining the mixture in a glass of ceramic bowl. Add the lemon juice and the zest to the mixture.
- Cover and chill for 4-6 hours, until cold.
- Process in your ice cream machine as indicated in the instructions manual.
- Once ready, transfer to a freezer proof container and let it freeze for a couple hours to get it to a more solid consistency.
After the ice cream is ready, serve it as you wish. I do recommend you serve it on a very soft, raw in the middle, brownie. The combination of warm chocolate with this frozen basil ice cream, is heavenly. Impress your friends with this great recipe!
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!