If you are lucky enough to have an apple tree on your property you know that they are not in season yet, but the ones from last year in your freezer, are! They are just begging to get out of there, and why not! Make room for this year's crop! Combine the taste of those sweet and juicy apples with the best things which compliments them, walnuts and caramel. This recipe will want you leaving more, even after the last bit of caramel is licked off your plate. Here's the recipe.
APPLE DAPPLE CAKE
(Makes 1 regular sized BUNT or 8 individual bunt cakes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 Cup oil
- 2 Cups white granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup water
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Cups chopped apples
- 1 Cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1/2 Cup margarine or butter (I recommend using butter)
PUTTING IT TOGETHER (Preheat oven at 350F degrees)
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil, sugar and water. Beat well. In a seperate bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Add to the egg mixture. Stir well, then add the vanilla, apples and nuts.
- Bake in greased and floured pan for 55-60 minutes for the regular sized bunt, and 20-25 minutes for the individuals. Tops should be a golden color and a toothpick inserted, should come out clean.
- When you take out the bunt(s) out of the oven, let cool for ten to fifteen. During that time, prepare the topping. To do so, incorporate all the ingredients in a small sauce pan, and heat till all ingredients come together in a caramel mixture.
- Remove cake(s) from pan and flip onto a cooling rack, placed on top of a baking tray. Spoon 1/3 of the topping over the top of the cake(s). Carefully place the cake(s) back in the pan and pour remaining topping over the cake. Let stand 5 minutes, then invert on a serving plate, letting it stand another 5 minutes. Remove pan.
This easy recipe is always more then welcome at any picnics or potlucks, and definitely a great way to showcase the fruit of your overbearing apple tree! :) Enjoy!
Eat well, sleep well and till next time!