Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Great Winter Soup: Cauliflower and Potato


"Who doesn't like a big bowl of rich and creamy soup on a cold and blistering winter day?!"

That's exactly what I told myself as I was walking back to my vehicle with a freezing fruit smoothie in my hand. I had not really realized that the temperature had dropped to -35 degree Celsius with the windshield, and suddenly would have preferred to had just bought a big bowl of soup instead!

As I got home from my errands, it was time for lunch and I still had in mind, that big bowl of soup which I was craving. So I opened up the fridge and there it was, on the bottom right shelf, a big head of cauliflower, starring at me right in the face! It was now so clear in my mind, what I had to do. I then grabbed a carrot, a few potatoes, a head of garlic, remains of a celery stalk and that big head of cauliflower! A few cuts with my knives, some spices and a good amount of butter was all that was left in the way of creating a beautiful batch of soup!

So here it is; Cauliflower and Potato Soup, the perfect cure for your winter chills. For this recipe you will need a pot, large enough to fit your veggies, 4 potatoes and a head of cauliflower. You will also need a hand mixer or blender, but the hand mixer works best for soups.

Here's the recipe:

- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1 carrot, quartered lengthwise and chopped finely
- 3 sticks of celery (use inside branches with leaves for more flavor)
- 5 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 potatoes, peeled, and diced in small cubes
- 1 entire head of cauliflower, chopped in small cubes
( doesn't need to be pretty, it's all going to end up pureed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parmigiano to garnish (also adds alot of flavor to the soup)

Step 1.
Drop the butter into a large pot and melt on medium heat. Add in the carrots, celery, garlic, onion, onion powder and oregano. Let slowly sizzle in the pot to release all the flavors.

Step 2.
While this is sizzling away (and smelling amazing), prep your potatoes and cauliflower. Then drop in the pot. Stir everything together.

Step 3.
Bring the entire pot under the tap and run hot water in the pot, until it just covers the vegetables. Bring back to the element and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, cover with lid and bring temperature back to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.

(I promise you, the sweet aromas will invade your home and you will not be able to wait for this soup to be completed! )

Step 4.
Once the soup has simmered, remove pot from element. Although this is not recommended, plug in your hand mixer in a nearby electrical outlet and gently start pureeing your soup. Make sure that it does not slash anywhere because the soup is boiling hot. Continue this until the soup is very smooth. As soon as this is done, you can enjoy a bowl right away!

To serve this soup, garnish fresh parmigiano on top before serving only. This will add a very nice taste to the soup. You can also garnish with fresh parsley if you can find it in the dead of winter at your local grocery store. Personally I also adore eating this soup with a fresh baguette and butter! Nothing better then that!

Hope you get to try this wonderful recipe and that it brings warmth to this cold season. Please let me know how it turns out by leaving a comment on this post!
Thank you!

Eat well, sleep well and till tomorrow!

Astérix

No comments:

Post a Comment