Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Corndog Bread (Twist On Cornbread)



Let's start by giving a history of how this recipe came to be.
First I do have to credit part of this discovery to my very good friend and former classmate, Alicia. She came to Canada from Barbados and I had the absolute pleasure of getting to know her and part of the Barbadian culture. Most specifically the food. One of my favorite things that she introduced to me, is the Barbados Hot Sauce. Habanero peppers, onions and mustard give this hot sauce a very distinctive taste which goes amazingly well with their fried fish.

As I was walking down the "foreign food" section in the supermarket, a bottle of the bright yellow sauce came to my attention! I could not walk away without buying myself this very special treat. Even though I knew that it would not be the same at the real stuff, it sure is as close as I am going to get in the center of Canada.

Skip to a couple of days later, and I was in my kitchen throwing together my favorite recipe of cornbread to go with some soup. Wanting to add some heat to the cornbread, I quickly reached in the fridge for the bottle of Barbados Hot Sauce. Thinking that it was simply going to add heat without changing too much of the recipe, I added a few tablespoons. The result of this was surprisingly good! The distinctive flavor of the sauce had given the cornbread the exact taste of a corn dog that you would normally find the fare.

So here's how to make this very yummy treat which will go great with a bowl of vegetarian chili, recipe of the vegetarian chili will be posted at a later date for sure.

First combine:
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Fine Sea Salt (I'm sure that regular salt would be fine)

In a large bowl whisk together:
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar

Add to the oil:
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Whole or 2% Milk
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp Barbados Hot Sauce (Opt from original recipe but gives the corn dog bread its flavor)
- 1/2 cup minced jalapeno peppers (Opt)

- When the oil and egg mixture is mixed well, add in the flour mixture and mix gently until just combined. The batter will still be a little lumpy.
- Pour into a well greased 8x8 inch square metal pan and bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes. Half way through the cooking i reduced the heat to 375 just so it didn't over bake too much. It gave it a fluffier, lighter texture without being too dry.
- You can also pour the batter into 9-10 muffin tin holes, 3/4 full. Pour the empty spots 1/4 full with water to not burn the pan. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
-Both ways should be ready when the top is a golden brown and springs back when touched in the center. When taking out of the oven, cool slightly on wire rack.



This recipe is best served straight out of the oven when it is still steaming hot! To store, wrap in plastic film and leave on the counter. It should keep about a day or two after.

As always, eat well, sleep well and till tomorrow!

Astérix

No comments:

Post a Comment