I say yes!
Combination needed? Bread Pudding and Vegetables. Possible? Very much so.
Today I woke up to many inches of snow on the ground and blizzard conditions. Perfect weather to crank up the oven to 500 degrees Celsius And it just so happens that my favourite local organic bakery released their recipe for "Vegetable Bread Pudding online and in a local foody magazine. Since I adore bread pudding so much and i didn't want to feel bad about breaking my new years resolutions, i though it would be a great things to try. So here is my shot at the recipe.
Here's what you'll need.
Preheat your oven to 475 degrees Celsius.
- 8 cups chopped vegetables (i put onions, mushrooms, celery, zucchini, asparagus and 4 colours of peppers to give it colour)
- 1Tbsp marjoram (i just threw in a few tablespoons of my italian herb mix)
- salt and pepper about a tsp of each
- 3-4 Tbsp of sunflower oil or canola oil
Mix the vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper with the oil in a bowl and mix to coat the veggies. Spread on a cookie sheet which is lined with parchment paper (makes it easier to clean after). Place in oven for 15 minutes to start cooking the veggies.
Next step, you'll want to cube your 12 cups of bread and have it on standby.
- 7 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cream
Whisk together the eggs and the cream. Divide mixture in half and put one aside.
- 1 cup of fresh herbs, mostle what you can find at your supermarket if its -30 Celsius outside.
I used some dill, basil and coriander. You can also use rosemary and parsley.
- 1 1/2 cup of mozzarella, cheddar, or marble cheese. Which ever you like best.
Mix all together in a very large bowl;
-the cubed bread
-3/4 cup of the cheese
-one of the two halves of the cream and egg mixture.
**The rest is fun to do with your hands if you don't mind getting your hands dirty.**
1. Take half of the bread mixture and press it down not too firmly in the bottom of an 11" by 17" pan ( which i lined the bottom with parchment for easy serving and clean up).
2. Sprinkle evenly HALF of the vegetables
3. Pat down the other half of the bread mixture over the veggies.
4. And the other half of the veggies on top of that.
5. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese on top.
6.Then poor evenly the other half of the egg and cream mixture on top.
Bake the ensemble in a 350 degrees Celsius oven for 25 minutes.
Take it out and then cover with foil and RETURN to your 350 degree oven for another 30 minutes.
I promise you, the aromas coming out of your kitchen will be amazing! And it'll taste just as amazing!
You'll want a piece right away when its nice and hot! It'll fill you up and you won't feel bad about it since you'll have eaten one, maybe two of your daily recommended intake of veggies. Delicious! Also very good for dinner with a nice piece of oven cooked salmon.
This recipe does make a very large amount of savory bread pudding, so you'll probably want to half the recipe. If you feel up to the challenge of making the full recipe, don't hesitate to share with your friends! They will adore you adore you for it!
Eat well, sleep well and till tomorrow!